Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Protomen – Act II: The Father of Death

The Protomen – Act II: The Father of Death


1. Intermission
2. The Good Doctor
3. Father of Death
4. The Hounds
5. The State vs. Thomas Light
6. Give Us the Rope
7. How the World Fell Under Darkness
8. Breaking Out
9. Keep Quiet
10. Light Up the Night
11. The Fall
12. Here Comes the Arm

Bishop: So, here we have the second album from The Protomen. Some backstory – this is actually a prequel album, set before their first album (now unofficially dubbed Act I by the fans). It’s a lot more theatrical, and leans heavier on 80’s rock opera influence – again, the booklet fleshed out the plot more than the songs do. The plot essentially deals with two inventors who create a machine, but argue about how it should be used. Afterwards, one of the inventors uses the machine to kill the others girlfriend/wife, Emily, and pins the murder on him, forcing him to eventually leave the city and abandon his work. A lot more going on plot wise, a lot more musically. It sounds like an 80’s album through and through, with some Meatloaf in there I guess? The ending track is one of my favourite endings to an album ever – and it’s only made better if you’re properly involved with the plot.

Elliott: The first thing I notice is the production is better. The first album had a bad production job I didn't really like, raw but in a digital way, this one sounds good. Also, they don't do what they did on the first album which was having a nice melodic idea then go the other way with it, it's a very melodic album. The vocals are also better. Still wile I listen I can't help but think how it'd sound if Judas Priest recorded it. Not detracting from the sound, just a thought. One point I do have is that after the girl gets killed, the song after that is rather upbeat, which doesn't match the lyrics

Bishop: The album was produced by Alan Shacklock, who actually worked with Meatloaf, hence the high production values. Regarding the upbeat song - that's because it's sung by the antagonist (hence, also, vocalist change!), who is rallying the people against the good Doctor. It makes sense from his point of view.

Elliott: I guess I get it. Really not much to bitch about, not my usual cup of poison, but it is enjoyable. Very much so. It's a bit too arty sometimes, but the times when they just let it rock they have a good sound with some good riffs and solos. They should do that more and  give the fucking trumpet a rest!

Bishop: I'm assuming you're referring to the instrumentals? They tend to go off on one, but I think they work as really good interludes - especially between the different styles. The first half is quite dark and foreboding, whereas the second half goes full on 80's. Without the instrumentals I think it'd be a bit jarring (plotwise - there's something like twenty years that pass between the first and second half, hence the change in style).

Elliott: No, I just mean I think they should let the music rock more. It's not bad, I'm just not used to this kind of thing. The vocals are better though, real emotion and more voice control. I will say, the guy who plays the Doctor has a better voice than the evil one, the evil one's voice isn't strong enough. He's evil, give him a death metal voice!

Bishop: It's not really cardboard cut-out evil though - he's a manipulator. The whole point of The Hounds is him using the media and public outcry to turn the city against Dr Light. It makes sense for him to be slick and sociable. That said, he crops up so little in the album it makes little sense. He doesn't even appear in the second half anyway.

Elliott: I noticed nice, leave the bad guy out of most of the album. I don't know, I kinda like this. It must be said the drumming is pretty damn good

Bishop: Yeah, quite a few members swapped between the first album and this one. I believe there was a good five year gap between albums. Crazily, the band is about ten members strong now.

Elliott: You can tell as the two are different musically. Damn, ten members, think of the tour fights!

Bishop: They tour in a van, think it might be a mini-bus now. Still, fitting them all in must be a nightmare. The musical difference was entirely intentional too, as I believe the next album is meant to be a total shift in style again. I like a band that can reinvent themselves constantly.


Elliott: Yeah, I have to say that's a plus for this band. Sure bands that go at the same thing and make it good all the time are good, look at bands like Municipal Waste or Deicide, but innovation is refreshing. Still, they're no Coven, they changed from song to song! Haha. I don't know what else to say. I thought I would hate it, and I didn't. It's not my favourite thing ever, but I might give it another listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a fuckin comment!

Contributors