Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Exploited – Fuck The System (2003)



Now then!

Over the past couple of years you've had the massive displeasure of listening to either Elliott or myself waffle on about various albums. Whilst I haven't done that many reviews myself, I have spent a considerable amount of time over the past year emailling Elliott about albums, usually ones we don't agree on. It dawned on me that instead of me just publishing my one sided opinion here, we should instead engage in conversation and publish that. Elliott thought it sounded like a good idea (not that he knows anything) and out of pity I let him choose the first feature as a test run to see how it goes.

The Exploited - Fuck The System
 
  1.  Fuck The System
  2. Fucking Liar
  3. Holiday In The Sun
  4. You're A Fucking Bastard
  5. Lie To Me
  6. There Is No Point
  7. Never Sell Out
  8. Noize Annoys
  9. I  Never Changed
  10. Why Are You Doing This To Me
  11. Chaos Is My Life
  12. Violent Society
  13. Was It Me

Bishop: I'm not massive on The Exploited, but I have to admit I really like this album. I don't think there's a dud song on here at all.

Ellliott: I actually really like this band. Great album, but am I the only one who thinks the lyrics are a little simplistic?

Bishop: What, and the other albums they did were full of lyrical genius? It's simple punk for simple people.

Elliott: Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’m just so used to Napalm Death and Crass and stuff, they can articulate. Bad Religion too. I do love the last track “Was It Me”, that riff gets stuck in my head all the time.

Bishop: Oh man that final track is a killer, used to have it on in my car all the time. Every other song is about politics, or anarchy, or some other bullshit I don't want to be preached to about, but "Was It Me" just feels genuine. By the way, I'm pretty sure you used the word articulate in the wrong context.



Elliott: I don’t care if I used it in the wrong context, I’m American. I agree with what they have to say about politics, though I do think they jumped on the anarchy boat a little after it was popular. Anyway, I like the blending of metal and punk. Wattie sounds nothing like his old self though, he reminds me of a more pissed off you.

Bishop: I don't really hear the comparison to me, but I guess I wouldn't.

Elliott: “Beat The Bastards” sounds like you too.

Bishop: The thrashy elements that come through are refreshing. A few people give this album bad lip because of the production quality, but it still sounds raw and aggressive to me.

Elliott: The production sounds like the last three Municipal Waste albums. Anyway, one of the reasons I like The Exploited are the samples at the beginning of the album. Wanna talk about that?

Bishop: No.

Elliott: You’re a cunt.

Bishop: I like the sample at the start of the album. Every time it crops up on my playlist it annoys me to fuck though, I'm pretty sure that's why they did it.



Elliott: Great drum sound by the way.

Bishop: Yeah, nice and crisp. I don’t think, sound wise at least, it could’ve been any better. I’m not even that bothered that the album doesn’t really evolve, or is a little bit repetitive, it’s a brill album. If they released another record almost the same though, I’m not quite sure I’d be able to sit through it.

Elliott: It’s The Exploited, have you ever known them to ever evolve in an album? And this will probably be the last record; I think they’re content to play gigs now.

Bishop: They’ve already announced a new one.

Elliott: And they haven’t done that before? Sorry, I’ll believe it when I see it. Just like with the Septic Death discography, they keep saying they’re going to do it, but they’re fucking slow about it.

Bishop: I wouldn't complain if they didn't. I mean, I'm pretty sure they've covered all the ground they could by now.

Elliott: Unless they do a Napalm Death and add more stuff to the basic sound on every new album which, given who they are, isn’t likely. By the way, I love the energy on the record, it just sounds like they feel it.

Bishop: I think we can pretty much agree that, although a simple record, it's solid and enjoyable from start to finish.

Elliott: It’s a good record if you’re pissed off.

Bishop: Yeah, although I now have a strange urge to nut a politician.

4 comments:

  1. that was a fun read. good job. btw i like how they stole a song title from the sex pistols

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one would that be? I proper hate The Sex Pistols.

      Delete

leave a fuckin comment!

Contributors